Mon, 13 Nov|
Swashbuckling Intensive Nov 13-18th
Develop your ability to cut, thrust and slash with a smile! Learn the fastest and flashiest sword style, beloved in Hollywood, Panto and beyond, with an opportunity to earn a professional certification from the BASSC.
Time & Location
13 Nov 2023, 10:00 – 18 Nov 2023, 17:30
Glasgow, Rockvilla, 125 Craighall Road, Glasgow G4 9TL, UK
About the Event
Swashbuckling! A Professional Stage Combat Certification Course
Nov 13-18th – 10:00-17:30 – Rockvilla, 125 Craighall Road, Glasgow, G4 9TL
Blades crossing! Teeth glinting! Eyes flashing! Swashbuckling is the most stylish of stage combat disciplines, and one of the most fun to perform. Dazzle audiences with intention and flare while keeping your co-star’s starry smile safe and sound. Well-loved in Hollywood, you’ll learn the foundation for fights seen in Pirates of The Caribbean, Stardust, Puss In Boots, Zorro, Hook, Three Musketeers, Princess Bride, and many more.
- Gain practical, hands-on experience putting performance into action with classic swashbuckling swords.
- Learn how to control the blade effectively in space for both attack and defence, through a wide range of techniques and applications.
- Understand how to play characters who love to fight, from; how movement, body language, voice and expression all affect the performance of a fight.
- Try your hand at sword tricks and flashy techniques that will wow audiences.
- Rehearse a choreographed fight sequence and set it to a piece of text, to perform as a scene with full intention.
- Industry Recognized Certification Opportunity: when undertaking the course, you will have the chance to take a Fight Performance Exam with the British Academy of Stage & Screen Combat, the best and longest running stage combat certification body in the UK. If you pass, you will be able to add your certification immediately to your Spotlight upon qualification, valid for three years.
Is an intensive right for me? Intensives are a great experience for those who love to be active all day, and can manage their energy levels. We start slow, and gradually build up in intensity as the week progresses, so we peak on exam day. Intensives are loved by those who soak up new information and ideas - the format requires you to bring your learning from each day into the next, and build on it. Recovery and consolidation time is limited, but if momentum is your friend, this is the course for you.
Taught by: BASSC Certified Teacher, director and action designer Rob Myles. Rob is the principal instructor for Stage Fight Scotland, taking on the mantle from Founder Janet Lawson. As a stage fighter, Rob has worked with the Royal Opera House and Shakespeare’s Globe in London, as well as designing action for both stage and screen, including Sherlock Holmes: The Sign Of Four for Blackeyed Theatre and Sus at The Park Theatre. A former martial artist and historical fencer, Rob began his journey in this artform 15 years ago, training in Japan with Kamui Samurai Dojo, who choreographed the final fight in Kill Bill Vol. 1. Outside Stage Combat, Rob is a globally recognised figure in both Shakespeare and Digital Theatre. For more information visit robmyles.co.uk.
Entry requirements: 18+, no previous experience required.
Date & Time: Nov 13-18th
Places: 6 Remaining
Take Your Place
Join us for this fun, fast, intense week of technique, choreography and scene work, and test to see if you have certifiable skills.£350.00